.b Foundations is the leading mindfulness course for the school community.
b Foundations is an 8-week training in mindfulness suitable for students in higher education, for parents, for teachers and staff who wish to learn the main principles and exercises of mindfulness.
.b Foundations is based on key concepts and practices found within Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) and Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) courses. The course includes aspects of the .b and Paws b curricula and makes reference to the challenges generally experienced in the context of schools.
Initially, it is highly recommended arranging a one-off taster session delivered by a trained .b Foundations teacher. Once people have an idea of what it is involved, then the full course can be provided.
Each session lasts 90 minutes. The course includes:
- a PowerPoint presentation with visuals, film and sound images
- silent exercises in awareness akin to meditation
- group and teacher-led discussions
- movement-based stretches
- a few simple CBT exercise
- a text book
- a booklet with home assignments
This courses has already been taught successfully in hundreds of schools worldwide and supports CPD development and staff wellbeing. By the end of the course, participants may:
– feel happier, calmer and more fulfilled
– get on better with others e.g. other students, colleagues, friends and relatives
– work more effectively
– be more resilient in the face of stress and difficulties
Read about the review of research studies on the impacts of mindfulness on school staff compiled by Professor Katherine Weare.